- (1.5 pound - cubed) Boneless Shoulder Roast
- (1 teaspon) Salt
- (1/2 teaspoon) Pepper
- (3 Tablespoon) Vegetable Oil
- (1 Tablespoon) Butter
- (1) Onion, Large - chopped
- (4) Cloves Garlic - minced
- (1 -16 oz) Jar of Salsa Verde
- (1/2 cup) Chicken Broth
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch cubes, discarding any large fat chunks. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy pan and brown meat cubes well.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Drain off accumulated fat.
- Add the contents of the jar of Salsa Verde and the broth. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, typically at least 90 minutes, If cooking on stove top, stir frequently to prevent sticking. More broth can be added to achieve desired sauce consistency.
- If you use a dutch oven you can let the meat cook in the oven. I set the oven to 275 degrees put in the dutch oven and come back to it when my schedule allows. The cooking could also be done over several hours in a crock-pot or fairly quickly in a pressure cooker (aka instapot). The low temperature oven with a heavy dutch oven method is very forgiving of in-attention as the heat surrounds the whole pot instead just the bottom being heated, and the liquid you add is locked in with a tight fitting lid.
Recipe adapted from La Victoria brand salsa's website.