(3 to 4 lbs) Boneless Chuck Roasts
(1 packet) au jus gravy mix
(1 packet) Dry Ranch dressing mix
(3 to 5) Pepperoncini Peppers
(Tablespoon) Juice from Pepperoncini jar
(up to 8 Tablespoons-not needed in my opinion) Butter
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Put the roast in a slow cooker.
- Add the butter, au jus gravy mix, ranch dressing mix and pepperoncini peppers and juice.
- Add salt and pepper if you like and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours.
Pressure Cooker Instructions by www.pressurecookrecipes.com & recipe for homemade ranch dressing mix.
The site also has fun info on the origins of this recipe.
- Prepare Instant Pot: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click Adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be when you place the chuck roast in the pot (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT). This will promote maillard reaction and prevent excessive moisture loss.
- Prepare Chuck Roast Steak: Pat dry with a paper towel. When the pressure cooker is hot, lightly season the chuck roast steak with kosher salt and ground black pepper
Brown Chuck Roast Steak: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot. Carefully place the seasoned side of chuck roast steak in pressure cooker. Season the other side with salt & black pepper. Brown for 8 mins on each side without constant flipping. Remove and set aside
Deglaze: Pour in ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock and completely deglaze bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Pressure Cook Pot Roast: Stir in 1 tsp (2.4g) onion powder, 1 tsp (2.8g) garlic powder, 1 tsp dried dill weed, 1 tsp dried parsley flakes, and 1 tsp dried or fresh chives. Mix well.Partially submerge chuck roast steak and 3 - 5 (45g - 70g) pepperoncini peppers in the cooking liquid. Pour in the meat juice. Layer ¼ cup (63g) unsalted butter on top of the chuck roast steak. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 45 minutes + Full Natural Release (~roughly 20 minutes). Open the lid carefully. Set aside the Mississippi roast on a serving plate.
Optional Step: Separate the fat with a fat separator.
Thicken Sauce: Press Cancel Button, then Sauté Button to heat up the sauce in the pot. In a glass measuring cup, mix 2 tbsp (18g) cornstarch with ¼ cup (63g) buttermilk and mix it in one third at a time until desired thickness. Taste and adjust the seasoning with kosher salt and black pepper if necessary.
Serve: Serve the Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!